Wednesday, December 24, 2008

the joys of egyptian bureaucracy, part 2

About five months ago, I braved the bureaucratic mess that is the Mugamma to secure myself a new visa to stay in Egypt. Well that visa expires this week, so I had to go back and renew it before leaving for Rome with my family. The first time I went, I had only been in Egypt a month. The visa excursion was a little intimidating and really overwhelming, with lots of shuffling between many windows and lots of forms. But this time I came armed with all the things I was supposed to (photos of myself, copies of passport, etc.), I knew which windows to go to and what to ask for, and the whole thing was pretty...painless. I brought my laptop and did some work from an internet cafe while I waited for my paperwork to be processed, and it was all very uneventful. Part of it is that I knew what to expect this time, so I wasn't really worried. Or maybe I am just that much more jaded now.

The only irony is that the first time I went, I requested a one-year visa, but they gave me one for six months and told me I would have to come back. This time I requested another six month one (since I am here until the end of June), but they gave me a one year one. Thanks, guys.

No comments: