Tuesday, April 14, 2009

there is so much matzah in my kitchen

I realized I had never posted about being in Israel for Passover, so I thought I would write a quick update. I took the buses there on Tuesday (crossed the border without getting my passport stamped on either side again, which means I am 3-for-3 on passport stamp-age, knock on wood), and arrived in Tel Aviv in time for a late dinner with Sara. On Wednesday I relaxed on the beach for a bit, then got driven to Elkana to see the rest of the family (Dov, Bruria and extended counsins) for the seder. Seder was very enjoyable -- good food, not too long, plus I was able to follow along fine in Hebrew. Sara then picked me up late Thursday night, and I spent Friday shopping in Tel Aviv -- Nachalat Binyamin and Shenkin St. mostly. Though I have spent far more time in Jerusalem, I do have a few favorite stores in Tel Aviv, including HaOzen HaShlishi (The Third Ear), an excellent record shop where I picked up a ton of music, including the new Idan Raichel (woo!). I returned to Cairo by plane on Saturday night, in time to go to work on Sunday.

But I think the best part about going to Israel for Passover was just the holiday atmosphere. All the restaurants that remained open and kosher for Passover -- I still got to have an iced Aroma, and there were pizza places doing that kosher for Passover pizza which was not so bad -- plus everyone wishing you a Chag Sameach. I mean, it's like that a lot in Florida too -- there's never a problem finding good food and everyone else at the hotel we go to is Jewish also. Still, there's something uniquely awesome about being in Israel for Passover, and I was happy to experience it this year. How was I to know that last year when I said "next year in Jerusalem" it would end up being true?

Anyway, since then I have had a good week back in Egypt. Many friends have sampled the matzah I brought back from Israel, though I am definitely looking forward to the holiday ending tomorrow night (I celebrated in Israel this year, so seven days it is!). This upcoming weekend is also a long one, in honor of Coptic Easter, so I pretty much got two vacations in a row. I will be traveling to Siwa, an oasis in the Western Desert. Check back next week for some awesome photos and more updates!

2 comments:

Sam said...

Sounds like you had a great trip! Passover in Israel seems like it would have extra meaning. Glad you're having such a great time over there. Miss you!

Lauren said...

wooo idan raichel! i'm so jealous. i remember birthright and driving into Jerusalem and seeing Chanukiahs in all the windows...so powerful and wonderful