Wednesday, January 21, 2009

number 44, or Yes We Did redux

At work yesterday, I just had this huge grin on my face as I watched Barack Obama get sworn in as the 44th president of the USA. I watched the whole thing from the NYTimes site, which had a live video of the inauguration. If I had rushed home I might have caught it on CNN, but I was worried about traffic (always bad in Cairo, but for some reason it seems to have gotten even worse recently), so I just watched from the office. I thought the speech was nice, but didn't stick around to watch the parades.

Many people I have spoken with are waiting to see what President Obama (!!) will say about Gaza, especially now that the ceasefire is in place (though Hamas is violating it anyway) and the full extent of the damage is finally being uncovered. It's a difficult situation (understatement of the year?) but I am interested to see how this new administration will handle it.

No comments: