Sunday, August 24, 2008

in which i admit to liking twilight

My lobby is under construction. They have knocked down many walls and there are sacks of dirt and concrete and piles of bricks all over the place. The workers seem to take frequent cigarette and tea breaks, but at least they are making visible progress (as opposed to the giant pipeline holes in front of my apartment on Sherman Ave. which they kept digging and re-filling at 7 a.m. for several months with no discernible difference AT ALL). On the bright side, the building could definitely use the a little help in the classiness department, and hopefully a shiny new lobby will help.

So...weekend! Thursday after work my friend N and I went looking for a place in Zamalek to get our eyebrows done (sorry men who are reading this). But because this is Egypt, where many women wear hijabs, salons are often separated by gender. Most are either men-only or women-only; if they are unisex, the women are often in a separate section that is either in the back or has blacked-out windows so people walking by won't be able to see them with uncovered hair. So we went for a walk and ultimately found a non-shady women's salon, which was also pretty cheap. Yay affordability! Plus A1 has said she knows of a good place that has cheap manicures, so that's something else I can look forward to.

Anyway, Thursday night we went to Harry's Pub for karaoke (this week's songs included various members of our large group singing "Piano Man," "Like a Prayer," and a rendition of "Twist and Shout" that everyone joined in on and felt very Ferris Bueller-esque. I pictured myself singing on a parade float in front of Daley Plaza).

Friday was supposed to be my day to run errands and do laundry and get things done...but instead I read Twilight. I know, I know, it's cheesy and a bit trashy and definitely written for 13-year-olds. But it's so good. Like so bad it's good. I have been describing it as both fantastically horrible and horribly fantastic. I meant to just read a few chapters, but instead I read the entire book, and now I am halfway through New Moon. So addictive. English bookstores here can be a bit limited, but if none of them have Eclipse and Breaking Dawn, I might pitch a fit. Spoil the endings and I will fly back to the U.S. and kill you.

After my extremely entertaining read of Twilight, I went over to J's and had Shabbat dinner again (I know, two weeks in a row in Cairo -- very exciting). I ended up over at my friend H's later that night under the impression that people wanted to play poker, but it never really materialized, and instead a group of us just hung out. Saturday we went back to the Mohammed Ali Club for the last pool day before Ramadan starts. If it seems like we go there a lot... well, that's because we do. It's hot, the beach is far, and this place is in Cairo and has a cheap pool. Done. Saturday night it was our friend T's birthday, so we went back to Latex for her birthday party. But we all have work on Sunday (our weekends are Fri-Sat), so we didn't stay too late.

Now I am watching the closing ceremonies of the Olympics, and I think I am actually going to miss it. I am not usually (...or ever) a big sports fan, but there is something I really liked about watching politics go out the window in the name of international cooperation and good sportsmanship. On Thursday I spent like a good three hours at the office watching the games -- there is a big TV in the newsroom, and everyone has been into it. Throughout the whole thing I have felt rather patriotic (i.e. Michael Phelps is awesome), which is understandable considering I am watching China from Egypt and rooting for America. Egypt, meanwhile, won one medal (a bronze in judo), though everyone in the office was rooting for anyone competing from the Middle East (some weightlifters from Syria were extremely popular but didn't win). Fingers crossed for Chicago 2016!

Also: Obama/Biden '08! I'm feeling pretty positive about this choice, and am extremely excited for my absentee ballot. I feel certain that coverage of the Democratic convention in Denver will enable me to procrastinate at least as well as the coverage of the Olympics.

1 comment:

Daniela said...

HA! i knew you would love it.
now we can indulge in our new love of trashy vampire fiction together!
also, i love how your tags include "daily life" and "vampires". :)