Monday, August 18, 2008

franzia for president

Wow guys, sorry I'm lame. See, my life isn't always exciting -- yesterday I wrote about microwaves. To make up for it, here are some non-boring news stories. Enjoy!

I think the most important item I have read today is that The New York Times hearts Franzia.

In Egypt news, not everyone is a fan of women-only beaches. Check the end for some excellent hypocrisy from the men interviewed.

Also, women say wearing a hijab (headscarf) doesn't prevent you from getting harassed. I know I have written a couple times about harassment of women in Egypt, and the reason is because it's something that we just continue to marvel over. It's just so blatantly prevalent (and kind of disturbing), and rather than trying to get men to stop...they tell women it's their fault and they should cover up more. The Washington Post article I linked to above references an e-mail campaign urging women to be more modest. There's a version of that ad below, comparing veiled women to the covered lollipop, and unveiled women to the fly-covered lollipop. The text says "You can't stop them, but you can protect yourself." And they wonder why women in Egypt are harassed...

No comments: