Sunday, June 14, 2009

my stylish swine flu mask

This was a weekend of weird (and fun) cultural experiences. On Thursday night I went to a stand-up comedy event at the Sawy Center. I have heard about comedians performing before in Cairo (there are several well-known comedians, especially Egyptians, thanks to popular specials like Axis of Evil and Arabs Gone Wild), but I always skip them because I was pretty sure they would be in Arabic. My friend L heard about this one and said it was supposed to be in English, so I decided to give it a shot. It turns out that it was an evening hosted by well-known Egyptian-American comic Ronnie Khalil, and featuring some amateur and established Egyptian comics...in English and Arabic. First there were four performances in Arabic, an "interlude" by Khalil (in English, making fun of the Obama speech), and then four performances in English, including a much longer set from Khalil.

I had an initial moment of panic when I heard that half the sets would be in Arabic, but surprised myself by understanding more than I expected. It helps that they were all speaking Egyptian ameyya, which is what I have been studying this year, and that my friend L was there to help translate the jokes I didn't get. I understood the most in the first act, and found him to be pretty funny. One of the next three I understood barely anything (though no one seemed to find her too funny, so I think it was OK), one I sort of understood, though he used a lot of slang I didn't pick up on (really, how am I supposed to know the words for "to hit on" and "PMS"), and the third I also picked up on some, others went completely over my head. But that's OK, I am still pretty proud of myself for what I did get. For the English set, the first two were so-so, the third was a radio personality from Nile FM, and he was really funny, and Khalil went last and he was hilarious (not to mention quite a hit with the ladies in attendance).

The best part of the whole comedy evening, though, was the Official Swine Flu Panic. About 10 cases of swine flu have been found in Zamalek (the Cairo neighborhood in which I reside, thank you very much). They are all AUC students, and the entire AUC dorms have been quarantined (as in, 150 people trapped in a college dorm and unable to leave), with classes canceled through June 15. Since the show was in Zamalek, the venue was passing out free face masks and politely requiring people to wear them. What really happened was that everyone took a free mask and then promptly took it off upon entering the hall. Still, enjoy this photo of L and I modeling our fancy swine flu masks:


Then on Friday, my friend A3, who teaches English to Sudanese refugees downtown, was invited by some of her students to come to a hip hop show they were having in their church. I went with her, and though we stood out by being the only non-Sudanese refugees present, it was definitely an experience. They opened the show by having "praise and worship" (in Arabic, but accompanied by electric keyboard and a great deal of singing), and after several of the hip hop groups had performed, there was a break for the pastor to get up and share "the word" (aka a sermon?), also in Arabic, but which appeared to be about Adam and Eve. I have been to church services before (with my Tanakh class in high school, to get into St. Paul's cathedral for free in London, other cathedral-related experiences as a by-product of living in Madrid, etc.), but none quite like this. Anyway, A3's students were quite good, or at least the ones we saw.

The third was later on Friday, when I went with some friends to see a ballet at the Cairo Opera House. It was the tour of the Canadian National Ballet, and it wasn't really traditional -- it was a much more modern take on dance. There were two acts, each a separate performance; although the first part was interesting, the second part was really fantastic. The music for the piece was traditional music from Southern Italy (according to the pamphlet), and was performed live on stage. Very enjoyable. Also, much like the last time we went for the opera, we were able to pay for the cheapest tickets and then were moved up to like the fifth row because there were so many empty seats. It's a shame more people in Cairo aren't coming out to support the arts, but I do appreciate the benefits of being one of the few who do so.

Anyway, I did other things this weekend, including a futile search for ice cream (seriously it's like 95 degrees and I would kill for a Ben and Jerry's right now), a friend's house-warming party, and more. Now that my time here is winding down, I am looking forward to making the most of all my remaining weekends.

1 comment:

Maris said...

The masks are very becoming. Very "I dream of Jeannie"ish.