Wednesday, February 11, 2009

what's in a name?

In America, my name is often mis-pronounced, but people eventually get it right. Elsewhere, I sometimes have to engage in preemptive name correction. In Spain, I knew the "z" in Aliza would be pronounced like a "th" thanks to the Spanish lisp. In Latin America (the accent I was used to at the time), it would be more of an "s" sound. In Spanish classes at Northwestern, I was usually called "Elisa" or "Alisa." So when I got to Madrid I just started introducing myself as Alisa to avoid being called Alitha. It was a good decision.

Since Arabic is not too far off from Hebrew, I thought getting my name right wouldn't be a problem, especially given that Aziza is a fairly popular name and it's only one letter off from mine. Well apparently, that letter makes a difference. For a while I would introduce myself and the other person would repeat back "Leeza?" But after months of correcting people, I give up. Now when Egyptians ask my name, I just say Leeza (like the talk show hostess). It makes my life easier.

And on the bright side, I have not been called Eliza since I got here, so I suppose it could always be worse.

3 comments:

Sam said...

Blame your parents :) Miss you!!

Maris said...

it is always my fault:)

RachelFairy said...

haha whatever at least your name interesting! i mean, how many rachels are in the world? :P